6/03/2006

Here's Your Diploma, Welcome to Reality

Although actually, I don't have my diploma yet, so technically I am probably still residing in that twenty-something-year Limbo we inhabit before finally being released into legitimate existence. And if I never pay my library fines, I suppose I could postpone that release potentially indefinitely. Hm...

In the meantime, I am practising for the much-acclaimed "Real World" by pretending to join the work force (you can tell it's pretending because they don't actually pay me, but I do go someplace and do relatively useful things for eight hours straight per day, which is quite a change from the couple scattered hours of class per day to which I have become accustomed), in the form of an internship in the Literary Management/Dramaturgy department of the La Jolla Playhouse. I just completed my first three days in that position, which I have enjoyed immensely. I met my fellow artictic department interns, Peter and Sasha, who are very nice, fun, and hardworking people. Peter, a San Diego native, just finished his freshman year at Princeton, and Sasha, who is from D.C., will be a senior at Carnegie-Mellon next year. Our supervisors, Allison and Jackie, are also very neat, and they have particular skill at explaining how things work and what they want, which is hugely helpful in a boss.

The two interceding weeks between the ceremonious observation of my successful completion of college and the commencement of my internship were made quite enjoyable by the chance to spend time with many of my wonderful family members--visiting with my aunt and uncle, as well as my grandparents who were staying with them, and painting a closet into a supercool rocket ship for my two little cousins with the help of my sister, who then came back to Tacoma to hang out with me for a few days as I packed up my stuff and attended my roommate's wedding, which was lovely, and then a week-long cruise up to Alaska with my mom, step-dad, grandmother, and both sisters, which was fabulous and beautiful and relaxing and hilarious, highlights including the seven-mile hike along a glacier with Joe and Sammi in Juneau, wandering through a totem park in Sitka, perching atop the railing of a wooden staircase in a small wooded area overlooking a rushing stream and scribbling away in Ketchikan, having the chance to actually complete an entire book purely for fun (Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco), late-night dancing with Mom and Allie, sitting in the on-deck jacuzzi as the green and white hills of Alaska glided past, spending quality time with Grandma, and a three-hour late-night Apples to Apples game (what event is complete without one of those, seriously?).

After the cruise I packed up my car and headed down the coast in my much-beloved solitary two-day communal with the road, stopping midway to spend the night in Luba's lovely new apartment. And now I am home in San Diego, having started my internship the morning following my return, and I have even managed, in the evenings after work, to make a sizable dent in the huge pile of possessions (half of which, of course, are books) which I dragged along and am now attempting to organize and purify to the central core which I truly use and have need of.

Prior to graduation was that wonderful week and a half when the students of UPS, for a brief period given a top-heavy ratio of available time to required tasks, are actually able to interact with one another as the actual semester, what with classes and activities and jobs and homework, never quite manages to permit. I, as usual, revelled in this opportunity, turning a blind eye to the few final projects I did need to complete until they were screamingly unignorable in their urgency, and instead taking the chance to delight in the company of those people whose existence I so deeply value. So that was lovely.

I am currently attempting to formulate and formalize my plans for life after my internship. The idea currently seeming most promising involves spending the next year or two focusing on my writing in an attempt to discern whether I am cut out for the life or a writer and, if so, what sorts of things best make their way through the conduit of mind to pen to paper and out into the world of shared ideas. The hope is for this to occur in that northwestern land of trees and clouds and that rain of watery inspiration from the sky that I have come to love over the past four years, and my aunt and uncle's offer of their guest room in their house in Seattle has made that a distinct possibility. After that, most likely a graduate degree in Writing or Playwrighting, and then... We shall see.

In any event, my intent is to recommence my online posting at far more frequent intervals over the summer, and as usual, if you read an entry you are eagerly encouraged to acknowledge that fact through some form of responsive comment, which need have no relationship with the subject of my writings, as the main purpose of your response is to assure me that there is some purpose to the time I spend writing into this electronic void. Even one person on the other side of the screen is sufficient to inspire me to continue. Thank you for taking the time and patience to wade your way through my winding words. Until next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do leprechauns count as people?

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course. Leprechauns are some of my favorite people. Whence does the leprechaun hail, and does it have a name?

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home